Diagonal and Non-Generic Exits

Jun 7, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Me again..(blame it on java)

I am curious about the support(current or planned) for diagonal rooms and non-cardinal/non-generic exits. It looks like you could get by with doing the standard 11 (n/ne/e/se/s/sw/w/nw/u/d/out) without breaking your GUI, but will that be supported in the GUI? Also, what about 'climb the rope'?

I also found a potential bug. Your UI allows for duplicate Zone names, which should be avoided. Will send you an email with the screen grab.

Tony
Developer
Jun 8, 2013 at 5:09 AM
We have Id's for all instances of objects such as rooms zones etc. duplicate zones while not the best thing shouldn't be a problem given there being a situation that calls for it... say a parallel universe that you stumble into ;)

I would rather have the creator have free reign over the design of his world. we can enforce zone names within the same realm, but like i said i have no problem with it. We have solved it in the saving of the world with circular dependency ;) but i don't think that is your meaning.
Developer
Jun 8, 2013 at 5:16 AM
As for the room issue, we do plan support for the cardinal directions + any portal + or action that allows travel. One of the main things is that the editor is done in win forms and we are wanting to rewrite the whole editor to be done in a better setup for GUI whether it's Qt or something else, as we want this to be runnable on multiple OS platforms. so the Editor is the first version of what we envision.
Jun 8, 2013 at 7:41 AM
Where can you access the ID's of the individual rooms? (Should ideally be visible in the editor), and is there a format for accessing rooms from another Realm, or are we just using vnums(IDs)?

I guess the thing is that I am running into two problems. One, as mentioned, the documentation is sketchy. I am willing to help work on that portion of it, but I kind of need to know what the long term goals are, and some syntax information on how to access/implement the functionality already in the engine. I just got my copy of VSC# updated so that I can go through the code, but haven't time to do much with it yet.
Coordinator
Jun 9, 2013 at 5:38 AM
Edited Jun 9, 2013 at 5:40 AM
RAVaught wrote:
Where can you access the ID's of the individual rooms? (Should ideally be visible in the editor), and is there a format for accessing rooms from another Realm, or are we just using vnums(IDs)?

I guess the thing is that I am running into two problems. One, as mentioned, the documentation is sketchy. I am willing to help work on that portion of it, but I kind of need to know what the long term goals are, and some syntax information on how to access/implement the functionality already in the engine. I just got my copy of VSC# updated so that I can go through the code, but haven't time to do much with it yet.
ID's are broken at the moment. They exist within the code, and we had them fully implemented right before releasing the last version, but had to remove them from the save code last minute. ID's are still being generated on all objects internally, but they are not saved at the moment due to other issues. This should be fixed in the next release. If you want to see the current ID attached to your Room, you can see it in the Room editor by loading or creating a Room and selecting the Room Properties tab. The ID property is the ID of that room. All objects currently have an ID of 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 until the current issue is fixed. The issue was related to issues during restoring objects when loading, so I removed it from the save code to prevent issues with conflicts when the next version is shipped with working ID's.
Jun 9, 2013 at 6:04 AM
Actually, the ID property does not show up in the room editor on the current release. Only Description, Enabled, isAdminOnly, IsSafe, Items, Name, and Permanent.
Coordinator
Jun 9, 2013 at 6:13 AM
RAVaught wrote:
Actually, the ID property does not show up in the room editor on the current release. Only Description, Enabled, isAdminOnly, IsSafe, Items, Name, and Permanent.
Hmm, alright, guess I should have checked the released version instead of my current dev version. ID's are working as of tonight, I should be able to do some quick testing in the morning and get 2.0.2 uploaded with that working and the ServerOwner issue fixed.
Jun 9, 2013 at 6:22 AM
Ah, thought it might be something like that ;)