Editor will not run

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Hi,

I downloaded your software package, and unzipped it. I tried running it by opening the Editor application but the GUI does not open, not does the process start. I am running Windows 7 64 bit. I tried running it in compatibility mode WIndows XP SP3 as well, with no success.

I appologize if I missed some required component, would just like to test out what you got built so far as it looks very promising for people like me who love MUDDING :).

Thank You for any help and assistance!

Coordinator
Dec 2, 2012 at 2:01 PM
Do you have .NET 4.0 installed?

Johnathon
Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 2, 2012, at 5:30 AM, "Leopardfist" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi,

I downloaded your software package, and unzipped it. I tried running it by opening the Editor application but the GUI does not open, not does the process start. I am running Windows 7 64 bit. I tried running it in compatibility mode WIndows XP SP3 as well, with no success.

I appologize if I missed some required component, would just like to test out what you got built so far as it looks very promising for people like me who love MUDDING :).

Thank You for any help and assistance!

Dec 2, 2012 at 3:05 PM

yeah, installed .net 4.0 extended. Still doesnt do anything. I mean it cause my mouse icon to show the round circle like its processing, but no window opens up.

Do I have to have the C# thing installed? I went to that link and it put me on a page to download visual studio.

also I am running a 64 bit windows 7 laptop.

Coordinator
Dec 2, 2012 at 4:30 PM
The tool kit was built using a 64-bit version of Windows 7, so that shouldn't be the issue. I'm not sure what .NET 4.0 extended is, can you download this version of .NET and see if that helps?

That is the full version of .NET 4.0, it will download a small file and when you run it, the Microsoft installer will download the full version of .NET 4.0 and install it.

Lastly, have you tried to alt-tab and see if the permissions dialog isn't hidden someplace? Windows should ask you if you want to run the toolkit or not, if that option is not being presented then it could be a permissions issue on your PC. If you are not seeing that dialog, then something with Windows is hanging, because until you hit "Run" from the dialog, the toolkit is never launched.

Please let me know what you end up with.

Johnathon
AllocateThis! Studio
Software Engineer

- Sent from my Mac

On Dec 2, 2012, at 8:06 AM, "Leopardfist" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

yeah, installed .net 4.0 extended. Still doesnt do anything. I mean it cause my mouse icon to show the round circle like its processing, but no window opens up.

Do I have to have the C# thing installed? I went to that link and it put me on a page to download visual studio.

also I am running a 64 bit windows 7 laptop.

Dec 2, 2012 at 5:32 PM

OK, I used your link and it repaired the .net installation. The extended that I installed said it was the basic plus extra tools for developers. However, I used your link and it repaired, prompted reboot which I did. I double click the exe file in your download, it DOES prompt me to verify I want to run it, however afer I click run, the mouse icon shows the activity round circle thing for a few seconds, and then nothing.

Would you like to remote in when you have time and take a look at my system yourself, to perhaps troubleshoot this issue? I do not mind at all if you do. Other than that I don't know what the problem can be :(.

I downloaded this to try out, as I been looking for a newer MUD engine for awhile. I am new to this dort of thing, but yours looked much more feasible to use rather than command prompt ones like DIKU. If you would like to chat or call me let me know, I'll send ya my phone number or MSN ID. Figure you might wanna figure this out hehe.

Just let me know :), I'll be playing WOTmud for awhile hehe!

Coordinator
Dec 2, 2012 at 5:36 PM
Please e-mail me at Support@AllocateThis.com with either a MSN or Skype ID and I will start looking into what the issue is.

Thanks

Johnathon
AllocateThis! Studio
Software Engineer

- Sent from my Mac

On Dec 2, 2012, at 10:32 AM, "Leopardfist" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

OK, I used your link and it repaired the .net installation. The extended that I installed said it was the basic plus extra tools for developers. However, I used your link and it repaired, prompted reboot which I did. I double click the exe file in your download, it DOES prompt me to verify I want to run it, however afer I click run, the mouse icon shows the activity round circle thing for a few seconds, and then nothing.

Would you like to remote in when you have time and take a look at my system yourself, to perhaps troubleshoot this issue? I do not mind at all if you do. Other than that I don't know what the problem can be :(.

I downloaded this to try out, as I been looking for a newer MUD engine for awhile. I am new to this dort of thing, but yours looked much more feasible to use rather than command prompt ones like DIKU. If you would like to chat or call me let me know, I'll send ya my phone number or MSN ID. Figure you might wanna figure this out hehe.

Just let me know :), I'll be playing WOTmud for awhile hehe!

Coordinator
Dec 2, 2012 at 8:48 PM

This issue was resolved. The problem was that .NET 4.5 was missing from the computer. For those that have the same issue in the future, check C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Frameworks to see if there is a 4.5 folder, if not, download .NET 4.5 from this link http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30653

Dec 7, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Hello;

What are the minium OS requirements for the Alpha 2.0 version? Am I right in assuming .NET 4.5 is required. The reason I ask is version 1.0 of your mud engine runs fine, but 2.0 gives the 'MudDesigner.Editor.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

I am running XP service pack 3 with .NET 4.0. 4.5 is not compatible.

I have been testing version 1.0 and I am quite impressed. There is a lot of potential there. Good work!

Don

Coordinator
Dec 7, 2012 at 6:38 PM
Hi Don,

Unfortunately the 2.0 version both requires a 64bit OS and .NET 4.5. We are exploring if we really want to use .NET 4.5 going forward, there's a good possibility we will revert to .NET 4.0 which would let us compile a 32bit version.

I'm pretty sure that we aren't using anything in .NET 4.5 that we can't live without. I will look at what's involved with it this weekend for sure.

Glad your watching the project!

Thanks.

Johnathon Sullinger

- Sent from my iPad mini

On Dec 7, 2012, at 10:55 AM, "Toyduck" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hello;

What are the minium OS requirements for the Alpha 2.0 version? Am I right in assuming .NET 4.5 is required. The reason I ask is version 1.0 of your mud engine runs fine, but 2.0 gives the 'MudDesigner.Editor.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

I am running XP service pack 3 with .NET 4.0. 4.5 is not compatible.

I have been testing version 1.0 and I am quite impressed. There is a lot of potential there. Good work!

Don

Dec 8, 2012 at 5:18 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, I was afraid that was a possibility. Unfortunately my current investment in server software is 32bit to maintain compatibility with the mud's I am running now. But I will continue to follow your project and try 2.0 again once/if I get my hands on a 64bit platform.

In the meantime I will continue to check out 1.0, it is quite impressive and you obviously gave some thought to it's functionality.

Don

Coordinator
Dec 8, 2012 at 5:55 AM
We moved the project over to .NET 4.0 tonight and cleaned up a couple of small issues that resulted from the change. I believe it will now run on a 32bit OS with Windows XP. The issue is that I don't have a 32bit machine to test this on. Would you like to test the project so that I can make sure it works on a 32bit system with .NET 4.0?

Thanks!

Johnathon Sullinger

- Sent from my Mac

On Dec 7, 2012, at 10:18 PM, "Toyduck" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply, I was afraid that was a possibility. Unfortunately my current investment in server software is 32bit to maintain compatibility with the mud's I am running now. But I will continue to follow your project and try 2.0 again once/if I get my hands on a 64bit platform.

In the meantime I will continue to check out 1.0, it is quite impressive and you obviously gave some thought to it's functionality.

Don

Dec 8, 2012 at 6:32 PM

I would be happy to check it out. I have 32bit machines, but I do have XP, Vista, Win7, Server 2000 and Server 2003.  I will check XP and Server 2003 first (my coding machine and my MUD server host.

My, that was quick work!)

Don

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:57 PM
Scionwest wrote:
We moved the project over to .NET 4.0 tonight and cleaned up a couple of small issues that resulted from the change. I believe it will now run on a 32bit OS with Windows XP. The issue is that I don't have a 32bit machine to test this on. Would you like to test the project so that I can make sure it works on a 32bit system with .NET 4.0?
Thanks!

Johnathon Sullinger
- Sent from my Mac

On Dec 7, 2012, at 10:18 PM, "Toyduck" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Don

Let me know where I can get a copy.
Don

Coordinator
Dec 8, 2012 at 10:50 PM
I need to get it ready to ship to you. I should have it ready to just email over in a .zip later tonight. I'll work on it when I get home.

If it runs on your machine (just need to know if the editor starts or not) I will then upload an official copy to the codeplex site for public download.

Johnathon Sullinger
Sent from my iPhone

Let me know where I can get a copy.
Don

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:25 AM

No problem! Thanks;

Don

Coordinator
Dec 9, 2012 at 6:50 PM
My Windows took a turn for the worse this morning so I won't be able to get it over this weekend. It's coming tho!

Had to re-install and get all the stuff downloaded and setup again.

Johnathon Sullinger
Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 8, 2012, at 5:25 PM, "Toyduck" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

No problem! Thanks;

Don

Dec 11, 2012 at 7:37 PM
Scionwest wrote:
My Windows took a turn for the worse this morning so I won't be able to get it over this weekend. It's coming tho!

Had to re-install and get all the stuff downloaded and setup again.

Bummer; the proper care and feeding of Windows...:) That's why I still have XP machines, stability. I missed Vista and 'finally' upgraded one to Win7 when I had to replace a failed HD. Figured I might as well give it a go.

Don

Coordinator
Dec 11, 2012 at 7:46 PM
I've never really had much issues with Windows 7, surprised me. I think it was related to a Windows 8 upgrade scanner I ran. Not sure but windows 8 is now installed and tonight the tools go back on it. Should get something ready by tomorrow

Johnathon Sullinger
Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 11, 2012, at 12:37 PM, "toyduck" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Bummer; the proper care and feeding of Windows...:) That's why I still have XP machines, stability. I missed Vista and 'finally' upgraded one to Win7 when I had to replace a failed HD. Figured I might as well give it a go.

Don

Dec 13, 2012 at 9:47 PM
Scionwest wrote:
I've never really had much issues with Windows 7, surprised me. I think it was related to a Windows 8 upgrade scanner I ran. Not sure but windows 8 is now installed and tonight the tools go back on it. Should get something ready by tomorrow

Johnathon Sullinger
Sent from my iPhone

Any luck yet? Looking forward to seeing your project at work :)

Coordinator
Dec 13, 2012 at 10:30 PM
Edited Dec 13, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Hey there

Please shoot me an email over to support@allocatethis.com with an email address that I can use to send you the 32bit test version. If it works on your PC, I will upload it as official release package on the codeplex site.

Thanks!

Johnathon